case study 3
Regional Network Solutions were engaged by Leeds/Bradford Councils to provide technical, commercial and strategic support in supporting the delivery of a metro wireless network by offering access to their street furniture under a service concession agreement.
In terms of the actual strategy Regional Network Solutions by adopting a collaborative approach worked closely with Leeds City which focused on the delivery of the following key stages:
- Due Diligence: provided guidance on PFI relationship, asset availability, financial modelling and State Aid
- Preparation of Tender Documentation provided Technical and Commercial Expertise as well assisting in drafting documentation for internal approval.
- Supported two stages of Competitive Dialogue.
- Contributed to Final Tender Evaluation
- Assisted in subsequent Commercial Negotiations
- Provided on going support during the initial implementation staget
- Delivered a wireless network at no cost to the respective Councils but purely through private investment
- Delivered a co-ordinated and sustainable approach to realising a metro wireless network as part of their Super Connected City Strategy
- Delivered a long term and guaranteed revenue stream for both councils
- Promoted and enhanced the resident, business and visitor experience in each City through access to wifi as well the planned implementation of a Small Cell Strategy
- Realised a council aspiration to create a platform to address digital inclusion enhanced by the availability of free wifi access
- Provided the opportunity for councils to utilise in the future this digital platform as part of their channel shift strategy
- From PQQ Stage in May 2012 first initial wifi phase was delivered by Christmas 2012 to realise the aspirations of both Council’s CEO’s.